Friday, October 23, 2009

Gleeful


Well, color me "normal", but I (along with probably you, your mom and everyone else) am just tickled pink about Glee. Yes, it's campy. Yes, it's over the top. YES, they break out into perfect song at a moment's notice...precisely why I'm so smitten. I mean, I think this is just what we need these days (y'know with the recession, mass genocides, the implosion of capitalism and the impending ice age...)- something that POPS off the screen, grabs us by the hand and dances us around our living rooms for an hour a week.

It's been awhile since I've been this committed to a show on network television; I rarely find something I actually want to commit to. I just can't be tied down, y'know? My TV viewing usually involves re-runs on cable, like Real Housewives on Bravo because, well, they're ALWAYS on and I just...can't...turn...away. So, yeah, it's been awhile since a television show sent my heart a flutter, wondering what's around the next brightly colored, harmonious corner.

Wednesday's episode was so delightful, I had to watch it twice. With a line like, "I'm going to go to the animal shelter, get you a kitty cat, and then when you've fallen in love with that kitty cat, I'm going to steal into your house in the middle of the night, and punch you in the face." pointedly delivered by Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester, how could I not? Oh and this Puckerman character is getting hotter by the second.

The joy that Glee fills me with is not unlike the excitement in the beginning of a new romance- right now it is sweet, fresh, and exhilarating. I can't wait to see it again. I have yet to know what's around the corner for us- will Glee jump the shark soon? Will the storyline grow tired? Will the Rachel/Finn & Emma/Will anticipation drag on for far too long (i.e. Ross & Rachel)? Who's to know?

I will say this, Glee has my Wednesday night attention for the foreseeable future. I don't want to say the "L" word just yet, but I guess you could say we're kind of going steady.






No comments: