Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dark Knizzle

In an uncharacteristic move, I actually went to see a midnight showing of a film.

I've never been into this kind of thing. I mean, I'll see it eventually, right? Anyhoo, my friend Michael Schuff invited Rach and myself to come and see The Dark Knight with him and considering my life and summer have been a big old bore fest, I accepted.

Aside from the fact that we didn't get to bed until 4am and I had to work @ 8:30, it was great time and a great movie. Of course I wanted to enjoy Heath Ledger's performance, but ahead of time I was a bit weary that people would give it
too much credit because of his passing...instead I left wanting more. He was fantastic. He stole the show and owned each scene he was in. I rarely find that I enjoy another actor's performance so much that I can't wait to see what they do next, and in this case, I did. Unfortunately, we'll have to take what he's left us. I think this is the role where he showed the extent of his range. It would have been interesting to see what else he could have done with that. So yeah, part wanting more was because of just that- the knowledge that there isn't any more.

My other favorite character was "Gotham" itself (AKA sweet home Chi). It was a whole different cinematic take on Chicago- giving credit where it has always been due (too often overshadowed by our less-beautiful Eastern neighbor). Director Chris Nolan took full advantage of the imposing architecture. It was definitely cool to see.

Check out the New York Times review. I enjoyed it (and agree!).

No comments: