Friday, May 2, 2008

Oh, What A World

So, unless you're living under a rock, you've heard about the oil/food/job/overall economic crisis that American has currently found itself in. It's a mess over here!

Anyway, I'm here to share some interesting tidbits I read on the great, big world wide web today...

I got an email from the Union of Concerned Scientists (yes, they email me and no, they have no idea how horribly I did in 9th grade Biology class) and according to them:

"When it comes to most meat, milk, and eggs sold in the United States, consumers have paid more for years—they just didn’t know it.

According to a new Union of Concerned Scientists report, the true cost of meat and milk produced in massive CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) includes billions in unaccounted-for taxpayer dollars that pay for the economic, health, and environmental problems CAFOs create.

CAFOs are supported by misguided government policies. Meanwhile, modern, alternatives are already in practice today that can produce the quantity of food we need, often without government subsidies. These alternatives can safeguard our health while protecting the foundations of our food supply—like healthy soil and fresh water. "



Interesting, eh?

I'm not done yet...

Our fearless leader was in St. Louis today and when addressing the economic stimulus plan, he proclaimed,


"This money is going to be very helpful in helping people deal with high energy prices and food prices."


Hmm...that's interesting, isn't it? Because I'm pretty sure that these economic stimulus checks were originally supposed to oh, I don't know...STIMULATE the economy, not help fund the skyrocketing oil and food prices, ultimately just keeping us where we're at.
(Which, y'know, isn't a good place).

I mean, I don't at all pretend to be some sort of political aficionado, but ever since this "stimulus plan" took the stage, I thought it sounded like something an 8th grade student council president would propose in order to help keep the Coke machine.

But! That's just me ;)


Happy Friday, chickadees and doos!




PS- Come to the Fair Trade Bazaar at Broadway and Addison tomorrow from 10-2pm! It's fair and square and I'll be there!

No comments: