Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This Day In History





I am less than two hours away from hopping out of my cubicle and heading down to Grant Park. I am so excited I can hardly focus. I have that Christmas morning feeling…or the feeling I used to get when the Bulls went to the championship and NEVER lost. Remember that? They just HAD to win. And they did. Except…this is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

A victory for Obama is a victory for all of us. If I didn’t believe that, I wouldn’t have voted for him. It’s been a long road and he’s been steady at the wheel- keeping his eye on the prize. If the way he’s run his campaign is any indication as to what kind of administration he’ll run, we are in good hands.

There’s no denying the historical factor of all of this- we may be on the brink of electing our first black president. Such a victory. There’s no denying the hope that comes along with that. This is not a fix-all, but it is, in my opinion, progress.

Barack Hussein Obama is the American Dream. America is about diversity- whether it likes it or not…and an acceptance and an embrace of a mixed race leader feels so right to me. We are many parts. We are a diverse, complex nation. It seems so obvious that we have a leader that reflects who we are.

I am hoping against hope for a win tonight. I hope I can be there in Grant Park crying tears of joy (because I am a big, political SAP) and shakin’ it while I Barack ‘n roll!




Fingers crossed. Knock on wood. Hail Mary.

No comments: